Deploy and Manage Next-Gen Security
The Kaseya Module offers powerful features including deployment management, dashboards, discovery of Webroot endpoint agents, agent commands, actionable alerts and threat history. This module is designed to optimize operational costs of Webroot® Business Endpoint Protection management via the Kaseya VSA platform. Further releases will add increased automation, efficiency features, and reporting. The Module is designed to be extremely easy to install, requiring only a few clicks. It’s intuitive to use, with helpful hints throughout, however we recommend you read through our guide before deployment. Includes MAC OS support.
Release Date: September, 2019
By clicking the Module Download Link below, you agree to the terms of the Plugin Agreement.
Kaseya Module Quick Start Guide
Module Download Link
Webroot Kaseya Cloud Module has no reviews.
All I seem to get is "This Tenant is not registered!!!" after installing....
When will we see the next release of the plugin?
are there documents for upgrading the module for existing installs? what about for on-premise
We just installed the new plug in on our SaaS server. Just went through the same process as before uploading the VSAZ file and registering with VSA.
Not sure for on prem, as our on prem VSA server doesn't have Webroot clients.
Nick - If you still need any assistance, please contact me: email@example.com
Tiny heads up on an issue I ran into:
I had an older copy of the vsaz file in my Downloads folder so the latest download got renamed. Due to the different name of the file the installation failed w/ the following error message. Once I removed the older versions and re-downloaded it, now with the normal name, it worked just fine.
When trying to install the v1.5 module for SaaS envrionment, I am getting the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".
Please remember to reach our to Webroot Support for any technical difficulties. 1-866-254-8400
Jason Bachman - I gotchu
Correct me if I am wrong but you have multiple copies of the same file in your downloads location, such that Windows adds a (#) to the file name. Change the file name to be the original name and that should clear it up.